Heath Ledger’s autopsy results have sparked a police drugs investigation.
The autopsy revealed the Brokeback Mountain actor – who was found dead in his New York apartment on January 22 – died of an accidental overdose of prescription medications.
Now the New York Police Department (NYPD) and the federal government want to know how he could obtain so many different legal substances.
New York’s Drug Enforcement Administration spokesman Erin Mulvey said: “We are working with the NYPD to identify any illegally prescribed drugs that may have been prescribed to Ledger.”
Yesterday, Ellen Borakove, spokesperson for the medical
examiner’s office, revealed: “Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine. We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications.”
An initial autopsy, conducted just days after the actor’s death, was deemed inconclusive.
The NYPD found six different medications in Ledger’s apartment -including anti-anxiety medications Alprazolam (also known as Xanax), Diazepam (Valium) and Lorazepam (Ativan).
Ledger’s father Kim said the autopsy results helped put to rest rumours surrounding the star’s death and hoped it would serve as a warning to prescription drug users.
He said: “These results put an end to speculation, but our son’s beautiful spirit and enduring memory will forever remain in our hearts. We have learned the combination of doctor prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath’s accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.”