Princess Diana bodyguard to speak at inquest

Princess Diana’s former bodyguard is to finally break his silence and give evidence at her inquest.

Trevor Rees – the only survivor from the Paris car crash which killed Diana, her lover Dodi Fayed and driver Henri Paul, on 31 August 31 – has previously only spoken to a British newspaper about his few memories of the fatal accident.

However, he has now agreed to testify in the hearing at the High Court and is expected to tell how two cars and a motorbike chased Diana’s car before it crashed into pillar 13 in the Pont d’Alma tunnel and how the princess regained consciousness after the crash.

He is also likely to dismiss suggestions by Dodi’s father Mohamed Al Fayed that the crash was the result of a plot by the British establishment. Rees – who was in the front seat of the Mercedes before it crashed – suffered severe face, chest and brain injuries and still does not have a full memory of the crash.

Months after the crash, Rees told the Daily Mirror about his experiences. He said: “I’ve had flashes of a female voice calling out in the back of the car. First it’s a groan. Then Dodi’s name is called. It could only have been Diana. I was conscious, so was she.”

He denied findings from the previous inquiries into her death that driver Paul was drunk. He said: “If he’d shown any sign of being drunk I’d never have let him near our car.”

Al Fayed – who has always claimed Diana and Dodi were murdered because they were expecting their first child together – has previously said he does not believe Rees has little memory of the crash.