DAVID CAMERON and his advisers are fed up of eating Rupert Murdoch’s sh**, a government source has said.
Under increasing pressure to pull the flush on one-time close ally Murdoch – the man who owned the disgraced and defunct News of the World – the government today put a block on the media mogul’s complete take-over of satellite TV outfit BSkyB.
Previously, Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt had looked to ease through the take-over, but the stink from the News of the World phone-hacking scandal has forced a rethink.
“We always knew we were going to have to eat a shit sandwich over the BSkyB deal,” a government source told The Independent.
“We didn’t know it would turn into a three course dinner.”
Despite Murdoch’s presence in London today, Hunt has now referred the BSkyB deal back to broadcast regulator Ofcom.
Media experts see Hunt’s move as the first step towards ending Murdoch’s takeover plans and shares in News International fell sharply as a result.
(The photo is from a demo by 38degrees against Murdoch’s take-over, held on Friday 8 July.)