The initial collection was bequeathed by the original Sloane Ranger, Sir Hans Sloane, a wealthy Chelsea doctor in 1753. It became a magnet for all the loot being amassed by the British Empire through the 19th century. In the 1880s the natural history collections were transferred to South Kensington. It still houses the British Library where Marx plotted capitalism’s downfall (Although this will soon transfer to St.Pancras). It transferred in 1997 – and is open to the public. Key Exhibits include the Egyptian Hall, the Tomb of Payava, the Elgin Marbles & the Sutton Hoo treasure (British Museum). The Magna Carta (British Library).
Tel: 020 7323 8299
Location: Great Russell Street, WC1B 3DG
Nearest station: Tottenham Court Road, Holborn