John Lewis has revealed that this year its 200+ strong fashion buying team edited their summer fashion assortments specifically to reflect the trend for "staycations", with Brits predicted to stay at home to holiday, in light of the weak pound.
Dubbed "the Britwave", Peter Ruis, Director of Buying, Fashion at John Lewis, challenged fashion buyers to include items in their summer holiday assortments that would especially suit a great British seaside or coastal vacation. John Lewis reveals, today, that branded fashions within the summer collection are showing a current trend of 10% up on last year.
Says Ruis, "This season, we included significant number of items in our summer collections specifically to work for holidays at home in the UK. We selected colourful cardigans from brands including Jaeger and Reiss, chosen to work well with our 50s' inspired swimwear to create the perfect "beach twinset." A strong range of vibrant Hunter wellingtons also features in the summer collection, which can be worn to create a great look with swimwear or a beach dress - perfect for coastal holidays or summer festivals.
He added, "Our buying team totally got into the Britwave look, which enabled our stylists to have fun teaming vivid waterproof bucket hats with swim sets as well as slip on macs with swimsuits - creating the all weather fashion solution for a walk along the promenade during the odd holiday shower or downpour."
The John Lewis summer collection, shown here for the first time, was suitably shot on Blackpool beach last week. John Lewis has previously photographed its summer collections in exotic far flung locations including South Africa, Miami and Barbados.
Says Cllr Maxine Callow, Cabinet Member for Tourism, Blackpool Council, "People stopped in their tracks as the John Lewis team of photographers, models and stylists poured out of their Winnebago to set up the shoot. It created great excitement especially when people realised that a major fashion retailer like John Lewis had chosen Blackpool over Barbados for its fashion shoot. 'Staycation' is the buzz word of the summer and Blackpool is proving to be a popular destination for holidaymakers as well as prestigious fashion shoots. "
Adds Mark Forsyth, spokesperson for John Lewis who directed the shoot, "Shooting in the UK isn't without weather complications but the après-shoot dinner of fish and chips on Blackpool beach can't be rivalled."
Britwave Best Fashion Buys - by Peter Ruis, Director of Buying, Fashion - John Lewis:
1. Summer dresses - tie dyed style by Paul and Joe Sister £159 or Full Circle floral tea dress £89
2. Bikinis - Purple animal print bikini by John Lewis (£20 bikini top, £15 briefs) or Fuchsia 50s style by John Lewis (bikini top £20, and bikini shorts £18)
3. Cardigans - Cashmere boyfriend cardigan by John Lewis £89 or yellow, blue, purple and black striped cardigan by Jaeger £180
4. Sunglasses - Classic tortoise shell style £145 by Dior or Wayfarer style by John Lewis £10
5. Welly Boots by Hunter available in pink, black, green and navy £55
6. Swimsuits - Purple polka dot style by John Lewis £53.50 or Blue Avalon tankini by Sea Folly (tankini top £73, and tankini bottoms £31.)
7. Rain macs - Beige with large black buttons by John Lewis £99
8. Footwear - Gladiator sandals by Steve Madden £100 or Canvas pumps by Keds in red or white £25.99
9. Waterproof bucket hats by John Lewis available in pink, black, red and bronze £15
10. Umbrellas by Lulu Guinness monochrome striped style £24