Available on DVD on 6th February 2012
In celebration of the bi-centenary of Charles Dickens' birth, three famous adaptations of his classic tales are being released in the Charles Dickens DVD Boxset, available from 6th February 2012 courtesy of ITV STUDIOS Home Entertainment.
David Lean's lavish, BAFTA-nominated adaptation of Oliver Twist (1948), one of Charles Dickens' enduringly popular tales, has been fully restored in vivid High Definition. It is most remembered for Sir Alec Guinness' (Star Wars; Lawrence Of Arabia) masterly performance as arch villain Fagin, and also stars Anthony Newley (Doctor Dolittle), John Howard Davies (Tom Brown's Schooldays), Robert Newton (The Adventures Of Long John Silver; Around The World In Eighty Days) and Diana Dors (There's A Girl In My Soup; Dancing With Crime).
Another Lean adaptation, Great Expectations (1946) captures the warm humour and richness of character that makes this Victorian England recreation the original and best. Starring Sir John Mills (Ryan's Daughter, Swiss Family Robinson), enjoy this beautifully restored and re-mastered film which many perceive as the definitive Dickens adaptation.
Ralph Thomas' (Doctor in the House) highly acclaimed and digitally re-mastered A Tale of Two Cities (1958) is a powerful story of love and redemption during the French Revolution, available again to celebrate the 150 year anniversary of the novel's first publication. Dirk Bogarde (Death in Venice, The Servant) stars as Sidney Carton, a desolute lawyer who meets French girl Lucie Manette (Dorothy Tutin - Savage Messiah) and her father in London, along with Charles Darnay (Paul Guers), who has fled France in disgust at the treatment of the working classes.
With notable extras including: Making Of documentaries, trailers, biographies & stills galleries, experience arguably the best Charles Dickens adaptations ever created in the Charles Dickens DVD Boxset.
Buy Charles Dickens Boxset on DVD from play.com (Free delivery) >>
Prize: Win one of two copies of Charles Dickens DVD Boxset.
Note: Following an email from the promoter, the prize we are giving away had to be amended from three copies to two copies of Charles Dickens DVD Boxset.
This competition is now closed. The winners are as follow:
Lorraine Wilson, Hants, PO14
Mark Barlow, Barrow in Furness, LA14
More Necessary Info:
- The winners must be aged 18 or over.
- Proof of identity and age may be required.
- Use of a false name or address will result in disqualification.
- All entries must be made directly by the person entering the competition.
- Entries made online using methods generated by a script, macro or the use of automated devices will be void.
- First correct answer out of the Editor's hat wins the prize.
- Winners' full names, cities of residence and first part of their postcodes will be published on this page when the competition ends.
- Details will be sent to the winner.
- LondonNet is not responsible for prize distribution.
- The Editor's decision is final.
- There is no cash alternative.