Queen cancels diamond wedding bash

Queen Elizabeth has cancelled a party to celebrate her diamond wedding anniversary because of the state of the country’s economy, it has been claimed.

The 81-year-old monarch and her husband Prince Philip – who originally marked their anniversary with a service at London’s Westminster Abbey last November – were set to commemorate 60-years of marriage with an intimate bash at London’s exclusive hotel The Ritz over the weekend.

However, the queen – who married Philip on November 20, 1947 – felt it would be “inappropriate” to go ahead with the party, which had been organised and paid for by close friends, because the country is said to be on the brink of a recession.

A source close to the royal family told The Mail on Sunday: “It is a great shame, but the queen did not want to be seen to be doing something so elaborate at a time of such economic gloom.

“She felt it would be entirely inappropriate to throw a party.”

Guests at the diamond-themed bash – which was initially scheduled for November but had to be postponed because the queen was on officially duty in Uganda – would have dined off tablecloths scattered with gems and been served champagne from Swarovski crystal-studded bottles.

A source at the hotel said: “The queen’s friends decided they wanted to do something special for her and Philip.

“The party was organised as a thank you for all the kindness she has shown them over the years. A lot of time and effort had gone into organising the event.”

A spokesperson for the queen’s London residence Buckingham Palace said: “We don’t comment on private parties.”