Award-winning film No One Knows About Persian Cats opens on 26th March 2010 at venues including the Curzon Soho, Ritzy Brixton, Belmont Picturehouse Aberdeen, Little Theatre Bath, Bristol Watershed, Showroom Sheffield, Irish Film Institute and the Lighthouse Dublin.
The acclaimed fifth feature film from Bahman Ghobadi, the director of Half Moon and Turtles Can Fly opened the Certain Regard strand of the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. It combines musical performances with an edgy underground narrative and follows Iranian musicians Negar (Negar Shaghagi) and Ashkan (Ashkan Koshanejad) as they look for band members to play at a London concert plus the visa that allows them to leave totalitarian Iran to do so.
No One Knows About Persian Cats features music from a wide range of genres including Iranian rap, jazz and electric blues. Executive produced by imprisoned Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi the film includes performances in English and Farsi.
For over 30 years the Iranian government has banned certain types of music deemed as impure, compelling many fans of Iranian alternative music and western bands to go underground.
The band that features in the film called Take It Easy Hospital now live in the UK having fled their homeland. The male lead was imprisoned for 21 days for performing in a rock concert.
Prize: Win one of three pairs of tickets to see No One Knows About Persian Cats at the Ritzy Brixton Cinema on March 23
This competition is now closed. The winners are as follow:
Charmeyne McCollin, London, SW16
Shelley Phelps, London SW2
Petra Bahounkova, London, W13
More Necessary Info:
- The winners must be aged 18 or over.
- Proof of identity and age may be required.
- Use of a false name or address will result in disqualification.
- All entries must be made directly by the person entering the competition.
- Entries made online using methods generated by a script, macro or the use of automated devices will be void.
- First correct answer out of the Editor's hat wins the prize.
- Winners' full names, cities of residence and first part of their postcodes will be published on this page when the competition ends.
- Details will be sent to the winner.
- LondonNet is not responsible for prize distribution.
- The Editor's decision is final.
- There is no cash alternative.