Live, love and give as good as you get as The Best British film of the year (Total Film) and winner of the Cannes Jury Prize, Fish Tank is released on DVD by Artifial Eye on 25 January 2010. This thought provoking drama makes essential viewing for today's aspirational youth and parents.
Academy Award-winning writer and director Andrea Arnold's (Wasp, Red Road), outstanding screenplay and direction received one of Fish Tank's 8 British Independent Film Award (BIFA) nominations, along with Katie Jarvis's stunning debut performance for Best Newcomer. Shot entirely on location in and around the tower blocks of Essex, Fish Tank takes a long hard look at the struggles and challenges, dreams and aspirations facing teenagers today. By daring to expose the gritty fish tank reality and vicious circles of life on a council estate, Arnold achieves a hard hitting realism that is unsettlingly refreshing.
The DVD includes Arnold's Academy Award winning short film Wasp, set amongst an estate in Dartford where single mum of four Zoe (Natalie Press - Red Road, 50 Dead Men Walking) encounters her ex-boyfriend Dave (Danny Dyer - Dead Man Running) who asks her out on a date. Scared that he wouldn't be interested in her if he knew she had 4 kids, she lies to him which only adds to the drama.
Initially full of Essex cheek and charm, Arnold complements her inspiring masterpiece with a startling breakthrough performance from talented newcomer Katie Jarvis, (Best British Performance, Edinburgh International Film Awards), who was talent spotted at Tilbury Train Station for her feisty and independent nature. An outstanding performance from the increasingly in demand Michael Fassbender (300, Hunger, Inglourious Basterds) and BAFTA-nominee Kierston Wareing (Ken Loach's It's a Free World) create a triangular struggle with heartbreaking consequences.
Follow the wayward life of the misunderstood Mia (Jarvis), a volatile 15 year old who is always in trouble and has become excluded from school and outcast by her peers. It's a surprise when one hot summer's day her mum brings home a mysterious stranger called Connor (Fassbender), who turns all their lives upside down. But is he too good to be true?
Prize: Win one of five copies of Fish Tank on DVD
This competition is now closed. The winners are as follow:
Karen Railton, Betchworth, RH3
Martin Rusby, Rotherham, SA1
Karen Richards, Aberdare, CF44
Alan Harland, Scarborough YO11
Nikki Day, Essex SS5
More Necessary Info:
- The winners must be aged 18 or over.
- Proof of identity and age may be required.
- Use of a false name or address will result in disqualification.
- All entries must be made directly by the person entering the competition.
- Entries made online using methods generated by a script, macro or the use of automated devices will be void.
- First correct answer out of the Editor's hat wins the prize.
- Winners' full names, cities of residence and first part of their postcodes will be published on this page when the competition ends.
- Details will be sent to the winner.
- LondonNet is not responsible for prize distribution.
- The Editor's decision is final.
- There is no cash alternative.