LondonNet : Latest News Headlines
04/01/07
Hottest Year Ever Predicted by Weather Boffins
- 2007 will be a global scorcher says Met Office

Hottest Year Ever Predicted by Weather Boffins2007 WILL BE the hottest year on record say weather boffins at the Met Office.

Their predictions are based on the impact of the El Nino weather event in the Pacific Ocean which they say is likely to push up temperatures around the globe.

Their report states: "The potential for a record 2007 arises partly from a moderate-strength El Niņo already established in the Pacific, which is expected to persist through the first few months of 2007. "

"The lag between El Niņo and the full global surface temperature response means that the warming effect of El Niņo is extended and therefore has a greater influence on global temperatures during the year."

They have also confirmed that 2006 was the hottest year in the UK since records began in 1914. Temperatures in England were 2 per cent above the long-term average.

The Met Office says that the global surface temperature will be 0.54C (0.97F) above the long-term average of 14C (57C) this year. If this is the case it will beat the current record of 0.52C (0.94F), set in 1998.

Katie Hopkins from Met Office Consulting said: "This new information represents another warning that climate change is happening around the world."

Before you crack open the Pimms and settle down on your deckchairs for the predicted long hot summer, a word of warning.

As with all weather forecasts there remains an element of uncertainty in the Met Office's claims. According to their computer models there's a 60 per cent chance of 2007 being the hottest year ever, which means of course that there's a 40 per cent chance we'll be reaching for the jumpers and hot water bottles as usual.

To get an idea of the prevarication at the heart of all good weather forecasting cast your eye over this slippery little quote culled from the Met Office's Press Office today:

"For the rest of the winter, the Met Office continues to forecast that near- or above-average temperatures are the most likely outcomes. However, there is still an indication that the UK could experience an increase in the number of cold snaps with some snowfall, later in January and at times through February."

So here at LondonNet's own weather watching centre we've rustled up this prediction for the coming months:

'Maybe a little warmer, but then again watch out for some colder bits too'.

See, it's easy when you know how.


Is Global Warming Hitting Home Sooner Than Expected?
Have your say on our forums






 Email this to a friend

 Print this story

Go Back


NEWS Archive:
NEWS Menu:

headlines
awards
features
sport
theatre

themes

OTHER Menu:

OTHER
cinema
music
theatre
conspiracy
theories